This one’s for all of you fat-free-chocolate-peanut-butter-fro-yo lovers out there.
Chocolate Peanut-Butter Frozen Yogurt used to be my fave summer treat, too…. UNTIL I found out what some brands were made of:
SKIM MILK, BUTTERMILK, CULTURED SKIM MILK*, CORN SYRUP, MILK, PEANUT BUTTER SWIRLS (PEANUTS, PEANUT OIL, DEXTROSE, SALT, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES), LIQUID SUGAR, FUDGE CHIPS [SUGAR, COCONUT OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), COCOA, BUTTEROIL, SOYA LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), NATURAL FLAVORS], CREAM, MILKFAT, VANILLA EXTRACT, CELLULOSE GUM, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, GUAR GUM, LOCUST BEAN GUM, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN E, ASCORBIC ACID, ANNATTO EXTRACT, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D. *CONTAINS ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, AND OTHER ACTIVE YOGURT CULTURES.
No wonder my stomach ached summer after summer! If you can’t recognize (or pronounce) some the ingredients, how do you expect your body to recognize them…and digest them easily? This is one of the reasons why our stomach rumbles and bloats up.
All of the ingredients are recognizable and I even “healthified” hers a tad (swapped the choc chips for cacao nibs) and added cacao powder to make it chocolaty – very similar to my fave choc peanut-butter dessert (sans the “crapola’).
This recipe isn’t fat-free. Eat foods that will love you back.
Def going to make it for my entire family when I’m in the Hamptons next weekend. Will save us all about $6 per cone, too!
Chocolate Peanut-Butter “Ice Cream”
– 2 frozen bananas (sliced in chunks)
– 2 tbs freshly ground peanut butter (or almond or cashew butter)
– 1/4 cup hemp milk (or plain yogurt or soy, almond or regular milk)
– 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tbs cacao nibs (or dark chocolate chips)
– 2 tbs raw cocoa or cacao
– Blend on low, stopping to stir with a wooden spoon every once in a while
– Keep on blending…
– – Keep on blending…
– – Keep on blending some more..
– – Keep on blending until it looks like it came out of a machine!
– If you want to get fancy, DIY peanut butter chunks: take 1 tbs, create little balls of peanut butter, freeze.
– Mix in the peanut butter chunks
– swirl in some cacao to get really fancy
– Add cacao nibs or whatever other ice cream toppings you want*
*for best experience, top with other “stuff” like crushed spelt pretzels + shredded coconut + home-made popcorn.
*for best consistency, freeze entire bowl of ice-cream before serving (it gets soft fast)
To flat tummies, zero gas and a delicious palate!
Be sweet. Be rich. Be well.