Yesterday, I shot an episode for Healthination about my favorite summer and beauty foods. The pict above was taken after the shoot. It was SO much fun! Can’t wait to show you the clip.
People always ask if I get nervous before shooting my cooking shows, or speaking in public. I actually LOVE speaking in public and talking in front of the camera. I wouldn’t say that I get nervous per se, but I do get excited! It wasn’t always this way, though.
It took a lot of practice to speak in front of audience…and the camera. I also learned from people who inspired me!
“I would love to do what you do and follow my passions, but it’s really scary to take the leap.”
“I want to do what I love, too, but I don’t know how to get there.”
“I want to bring more purpose into my work.”
“I want to feel more fulfilled in my daily life.”
“I want to speak in public but I’m terrified!”
I get it. Speaking in front of people is so anxiety producing! And leaving a well paid job, to start your own business is super scary! But, it doesn’t have to be. I do what I love every day, and I feel energized, fulfilled and grateful — even when that particular day is tough, frustrating or exhausting.
But before I started my business, it didn’t look or feel like this at all. I worked at a few offices and there were days when my eyes were literally glued to the clock. I couldn’t wait for lunch…I couldn’t wait for my 3pm break. I couldn’t WAIT to leave the office! And I could hardly get up in the morning because thinking of stepping into my office was just such a drag. I hated speaking in meetings and I felt so unfulfilled at the end of every day and totally under appreciated. I would literally cry when I got home from work. I felt like I didn’t have a purpose.
When you struggle with doing what you love or feel like everything needs to be “perfect” before you can do something (like speak in front of an audience), it’s easy to feel paralyzed and never take action.
I know exactly how that feels and it’s the worst feeling ever. I want to make sure you have this info because it was life changing for me and I know it can be for you, too.
Here are 9 confidence tips that help me prepare speaking in public and in front of the camera:
- Prepare. prepare. prepare. Whether you’re speaking in front of 3 people, or 300 people, in person, on a webinar (or even TV!), preparation is key. When I know what I’m going to say, I feel confident with the content, which is seriously half of the challenge. In order to prepare, I type out my speaking notes. Then, I’ll go over them again, organize them and put them in bullet proof format. I make the bullets short and to the point, so they’re easy to remember and expandable. I print out a copy and I send a copy to my phone so I have backup. Preparation is key.
- Don’t try to be anyone else – just be you. I started hosting cooking classes about five years ago in the apartment building where I live. It started at 6pm, and I swear, I would spend the ENTIRE day almost memorizing “my lines.” I felt like I needed to know every single benefit of every food that I was talking about. What I learned is that it’s less important to spew facts, and more important to inspire people through experience. So, focus on what you do know. Focus on what makes you feel good. Focus on what you’re good at. Tell people how it makes you feel. And just be you. That’s all people want from you, anyway. Watch this video where my mentor, Gabby and I talk about authenticity. Authenticity is your sexiest trait.
- Rehearse out loud. The night before the event, I always rehearse out loud, so when I wake up in the morning, I feel confident. I like rehearsing in front of my husband, or you can even do it front of the mirror, or I sometimes like taping myself on my computer or iphone so I know how long it will be, what I’m going to say and how I’m going to say it. Your event is not a dress rehearsal, so rehearse beforehand!
- Wear something that makes you feel like your best self. In high school, I was the President of the Student Council and I remember getting up in front of everyone and being so self-conscious with how tight my pants were – I was nervous that I had “camel toe!” It was totally, utterly embarrassing. But, when I look back, I’m so grateful for that experience. Now, when I am presenting in front of people, I make sure to dress in something I am comfortable in – no tight pants! I dress my best (always a pop of color), I get my hair done (because I’m just not a great hair stylist) and I make sure my nails are fresh and clean (just in case the camera does a close up of my nails!). Wear something that makes you feel confident, pretty and inspiring and try it on in the mirror before you step out into the audience!
- Take a deep breath and pee! This is one of my favorite speaking rituals. Before every video that I shoot, or before every speaking engagement, I head to bathroom. I empty myself out (nothings worse than walking on the stage and feeling in the first few seconds that you have to pee!). Then, I reapply my lipgloss, make sure I don’t have any mascara running down my face and then, I take 3 deep breaths and remind myself why I’m there. I walk out feeling present and grounded and most importantly, ready to be me. Take a few minutes before you speak to just be with you. Take a deep breath and remind yourself how you can help the people that you’re speaking to.
- When you step out into your audience or in front of the camera, and whether its 1 person or 300, LIVE or being taped, take a deep breath. Let in the people. Let in the experience. Take a look around and take a deep breath. You can do this!
- Stand in confidence. Stand firmly on the ground with both feet on the floor and stand up straight.
- Speak slowly. So much slower than you think you should speak@ I always tend to speak fast and when I re-play my videos or lectures, I always think I sound best when I’m speaking slowly. The slower you speak, the more time you have your brain to prepare what it’s going to say next and the more articulate you will sound!
- Bring a clock or watch so you can track how long you’re speaking for.
I hope this was helpful and I hope you’re excited to get in front of the camera…and in front of an audience!
I’m able to show up with fierceness and passion in front of the camera and large audiences because of Gabrielle Bernstein, my friend, mentor and business coach. Gabby taught me to get clear about what I wanted and who I wanted to be. Then, she taught me to focus, focus, focus.
I started my business because of her. I was able to feel confident charging people for my health coaching services because of her. She taught me how to view myself as a business person. She taught me the power of meditation (even if it’s just for 1 minute!) She taught me how to speak confidently in public, because she does it so effortlessly in front of 100,000 people! She taught me to be authentic and always be me.
Gabby created a business training program and it is AMAZING. If you want to gain confidence public speaking, learn how to turn your blog into a business, get lessons to make passive revenue and feel like you’re living in your purpose, I highly recommend Gabby’s new training. It is f-ing awesome and I know because I’ve gone through the training myself!
During Spirit Junkie Masterclass, you’ll gain the confidence and business-building tools you need to live your highest purpose, make an impact and earn what you deserve for your work.
It’s a really well-done digital training course that was created to feel like you’re right into the auditorium with her, so it feels like a LIVE training.
Because I’m so obsessed and because it helped me so much, I’m so excited to offer an AMAZING bonus for anyone who signs up through this link here!
- Get step-by-step guidance on how to establish and grow your business, attract media for your message and make money doing what you love.
- Learn how to turn your blog into a business, publish a life-changing book, lead a transformational talk and create digital courses so that you can create passive revenue for your great work.
- Join 2 live Q&A calls with Gabby throughout the 8-week training.
- Have access to an always-fresh, forever relevant program that you can take at your own pace and revisit for a lifetime.
- Experience the energy and enthusiasm from the live training in the comfort of your own home. Have the option to learn via video, audio, or typed transcripts — whichever format fits your learning style best.
- Plus, Gabby is offering an extra special bonus when you sign up for the training before June 26, 2016: Her Spirit Junkie Business Basics digital program!
Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll get:
- 2 live training calls with Gabby: The first will help you clarify your visions and move past your blocks, and in the second she’ll guide you to get into action! These live calls are valued at $500.
- The Spirit Junkie Business Basics digital program: Gabby created this program with her team of business pros. It will give you everything you need to set up the back end of your business: contracts, negotiating tools, insurance information and much more. This program has a total value of $3,000.
- Get $3500 in bonuses when you sign up before June 26 at midnight ET.
And if you sign up with this link here, you will receive these special bonuses from ME!:
- One FREE I Love Me Necklace or I Love Me Ring from my jewelry collection!*
- One FREE 45-min breakthrough session with me to discuss your health and/or business goals**
*Your choice of a necklace or ring – sterling silver with pearl. In stock options only. Worldwide shipping included. Your ring will be sent week of July 10th – look out for an email from me then to confirm your address.
**Your 45 min breakthrough session will be scheduled after July 10th. Look out for an email from me after July 10th to schedule your appointment.
Questions? Email me at email@example.com.
These extra bonuses total $525 (and you get it for FREE if you sign up for Gabby’s training using this link)
Use this link to sign up for Spirit Junkie Masterclass, so you can receive a FREE iloveme ring or necklace, plus a FREE 45-min call with me! This offer closes on Sunday, June 26 at midnight ET so sign up now here to receive the training and the FREE bonuses from me! Your jewelry will ship week of July 10th!
You can get all of these bonuses when you sign up here: http://bewellwitharielle.com/businesstraining
I believe you in you and all that you are worth. It’s time to stop waiting, and to take the leap. It will feel SO good. I know it!
Love and Be Well,
P.S. All these bonuses may never happen again, so make sure to check out the details of the awesome deal here: http://bewellwitharielle.com/businesstraining